Training News

Hospitality Training News has the latest Information on our Sydney Bar School Training Courses & Industry News.

RSA certification for working holidaymakers

Introduction to Responsible Service of Alcohol

If you are planning to work in a bar or another establishment in Australia where you can buy alcohol, you will need to get your Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) certificate. If you are caught working without having your RSA certification, you and your employer will face huge fines.

The Australian mainland is divided in six states; New South Wales (NSW), Queensland (QLD), Western Australia (WA), South Australia (SA), Tasmania (TAS), Victoria (VIC) and two territories; Northern Territory (NT), Australian Capital Territory (ACT) who all have their own rules on liquor and RSA licensing.

To save you researching the difference in legislation per state and what the best way is to go about getting yourself RSA certification that covers for your time in Oz, we have documented it all for you in this blog. So if you are planning to work and travel Australia, and are keen to work in hospitality in (potentially) multiple states / territories, keep reading!

Different types of RSA certifications

The map supplied in this blog will show you the qualifications all respective states and territories require with regards to RSA qualifications. This map can also be seen on the RSA course pages on Sydney Bar School.

There are four different ways of getting your RSA certification;

1. RSA Correspondence - distance learning via email
2. RSA Online Course - online training approved
3. RSA Classroom Course - face to face classroom training
4. Online Bridging Course (Victoria only)

States QLD, WA, SA, TAS and territories ACT & NT allow people to take an online test of the National RSA training meaning you can do an online course, at your own pace, leisure and in your own preferred location.

New South Wales (including Sydney) is the only state that allows people to do their RSA via email correspondence. RSA correspondence suits people who live in remote locations, and are too far from a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) to do the course, or people who cannot make the set classroom course times.

The most popular RSA course in NSW is the standard RSA NSW course which takes place in a classroom. Together with a group of fellow students, you’ll spend the day (six hours) with a teacher who will first teach you all the RSA knowledge you need to know to pass the test, then quiz you about it.

What will you learn during the course?

The course is not difficult and a lot of what you will learn feels like it is common sense. However, you will learn about the dangers of alcohol, get taught how to deal with tricky situations, in particular how to deal with (difficult) customers who’ve had a few too many. The trainer will teach you the best ways to refuse more drinks to intoxicated people while maintaining a great atmosphere in the venue.

What’s the best course for people planning to work and travel around Australia?

If you are not sure where in Australia you are going to be working just yet, we recommend doing the RSA NSW course in a classroom. NSW is a large metropolitan area with lots of hospitality jobs available, from Sydney to Byron Bay! Also, it is cheaper than the RSA correspondence course plus it is recognised in all other states except Victoria. And to have your NSW RSA certificate recognised in Victoria, you can simply do a free bridging course online!


Read More

Changes To How You Get Your RSA Competency Card

If you’ve done your RSA and/or your RCG courses for NSW with Sydney Bar School recently, you will most likely be applying for your photo competency card soon. There are certain areas that require you to have the competency card when you start working in their venue. The majority of the time though, you can start working immediately once you have your Interim Certificate, but this is only valid for 90 days after the date you pass. 

Read More

Lock out laws hit the Inner West!

Well its another dark day for hospitality in Sydney ... In case you've been living under a rock for the past month, you would have heard that the New South Wales lock-out laws could potentially hit the inner west of Sydney. 

Read More

The Importance Of An RSA

There were two films that were entered in the Sydney Film Festival this year that bring home the importance of RSA. These films are now in general release. “Ruben Guthrie” and “Amy” 

Read More

1 2 3
training course professionals travellers at work ultimate travel rsa online tcp training sydney rockfish catamaran hire sydney bar school nsw white card courses sydney